Everything starts with language.
Language starts here
Language is fundamental to our thoughts, relationships and cultures.
It’s at the heart of every interaction we have with each other. From falling in love, to
settling global political disputes, and even posting on social media.
At Department of Germanic Philology and Translation, we explore this uniquely human phenomenon from every angle.
If you have a global outlook, are interested in human interaction and want real-world
practical skills, welcome home!
Khmelnytskyi National University
Faculty of International Relations and Law
Department of Germanic Philology and Translation Studies
Invites you to specialize in translation and study with us!
(Germanic languages: English and German)
035 Philology. Specialization 035.04 – Germanic languages and literature (translation included) (English – Ukrainian translation)
We Offer the Following Degrees:
Qualifications: Bachelor of Philology, English Translator
Term of study: 3 years and 10 months
Form of study: full-time, part-time
Qualifications: Master of Philology, Translator (English and German), English and German teacher of translation in higher education institutions.
Term of study: 1,5 years
Form of study: full-time, part-time
During the admission process, applicants submit certificates of the Ukrainian Centre for Evaluation of the Quality of Education in disciplines such as:
- Ukrainian (language and literature)
- History of Ukraine
- Math or Geography
Education is funded at the expense of the state budget and on a contractual basis.
YOU WILL STUDY:
- English Phonetics
- Contemporary English Grammar
- Contemporary Business and Spoken English
- Linguistics and the History of English
- History of Foreign Literature and Contemporary Foreign Literature
- Comparative Studies of Ukrainian and English
- Translation Theory and Translation Methods
- Teaching Methods of Foreign Languages and Translation
- German Language as a second language
YOU WILL ALSO DEVELOP PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS FOR:
- Conducting conversations in Business English
- Implementation of official business translation
- Military and Medical translation
- Translation of scientific and technical documents
- Translation of economic texts and international agreements
- Translation of legal texts
- Use of modern information technology in translation
YOU WILL MASTER:
- Fluency skills in two foreign languages (English and German)
- The art of text translation and interpretation
- Genre aspects of translation
- Sociolinguistic aspects of translation performance
- Specifics of translating works of art and poetry
THE DEVELOPMENT OF PRACTICAL SKILLS
is implemented through the training and practice which are held at various enterprises in Khmelnytskyi and the region, including educational institutions, travell agencies, legal, and economic institutions, urban agencies and international organisations.
- Teaching with effective traditional and contemporary methods of studying foreign languages
- Professional translation equipment (conference system, interpretation booths, etc.)
- Meetings with renowned scholars from leading Ukrainian and EU higher educational institutions
- Internships and participation in Ukrainian and international academic conferences
- Communication practice with native speakers (U.S. Peace Corps volunteers)
Employment Opportunities for Graduates:
- Educational institutions
- Departments of economics and foreign relations in industry
- Law enforcement and legal institutions
- Chambers of commerce and industry
- Translation agencies
- Customs and immigration
- Regional government administrations
- Travel agencies
- Advertising agencies
- Shipping service and logistics agencies
- Tourism industry
- Embassies, consulates, and other diplomatic posts
IF YOU WANT TO:
- Feel confident in your future, be fluent in foreign languages and competitive in today’s job market
- Master English and German skills perfectly as well as further your study of other languages (French, Polish, Spanish, Japanese)
- Conduct research in the fields of translation studies and Germanic philology
- Work as an interpreter for the OSCE mission, with U.S. Peace Corps representatives, NATO ambassadors, public and private institutions, translation agencies, and linguistic centers
CHOOSE a SPECIALTY in LINGUISTICS and TRANSLATION STUDIES!
Studying at Khmelnytskyi National University!
The training of specialists is conducted by the Department of Germanic Languages and Translation Studies. The Head of the Department is Dr. Yuliya Petrivna Boyko, Professor.
11 Instytutska Street, Khmelnytskyi, Ukraine 29016
097 712 53 18 (Head of Department of Germanic Languages and Translation Studies)
097 158 28 90 (Secretary of Department of Germanic Languages and Translation Studies)
097 999 09 31 (Secretary of Department of Germanic Languages and Translation Studies)
KhNU’s Homepage: www.khnu.km.ua
Department of Germanic Languages and Translation Studies: http://transl.khnu.km.ua/
Department E-mail: email@example.com